Unsecured loads cause 300 crashes per year in Washington and contribute to up to 40% of roadside litter.
According to the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA), in 2019 unsecured loads and road debris caused 739 deaths, 17,367 injuries and 89,915 property damage crashes across the U.S.
Before you load up your vehicle with trash and recycling and head out onto public roads, ask yourself these questions:
- Is there any chance of debris or cargo falling or blowing out of my vehicle?
- Is my load secured at the back, sides, and top?
- Will my load stay secure if I brake suddenly, hit a bump, turn a corner, or go uphill?
- If it rains, will any of my cargo break down?
- Did I double-check my load to make sure it’s secure?
- Would I feel safe if I were driving behind my vehicle?
We all have the power to prevent crashes and injuries and to ensure Washington roads are litter free.